Comparison Table Between Turtle and Tortoise (in Tabular Form)
|Parameter of Comparison||Turtle||Tortoise|
|Definition||Turtles are a type of reptiles that are mainly characterized by their cartilaginous or bony shell that gets developed directly from the ribs.||Tortoises are also reptiles and belong to the family of Testudinidae.|
|The shape of the Shell||The shell is mostly streamlined and flat.||The shell is mostly large and dome-shaped that appears as bumps on top.|
|Limbs||Have webbed feet and long claws.||Tortoises have short feet that are sturdy and slightly bent.|
|Birth||Baby turtles remain in their nest for around 90 days to 120 days.||Baby tortoises tend to move away from their nest to a burrow that is made by their mother within a few days after birth.|
|Lifespan||20 years to 40 years.||80 years to 150 years.|
|Diet||Turtles are omnivorous and prefer to have fruits, meat, and leafy veggies.||Tortoises are mainly herbivorous by nature, although some species prefer live food.|
|Weight of the Shell||Shells are normally light-weight.||Shells are much heavier.|
|Distribution||America and Africa.||Mostly found in Africa and Asia.|
What is Turtle?
Several types of reptiles are present on land and underwater. Turtles are one of them.
These reptiles have a streamlined and flat shell that originates from their ribs and also acts as a shield for them.
When you talk about a turtle, it may refer to either the sea-dwelling and fresh-water Testudines, which is British English or as a whole in American English.
The classification of Testudines includes extinct species, as well as, living or extant species. The first-ever known variety of this specific group goes back to the Mid Jurassic age.
This makes turtles one of the more ancient and oldest reptile groups than any type of crocodilians or snakes.
Main Differences Between Turtle and Tortoise
- Both turtles and tortoises are reptiles and belong to the Chelonian family. However, the former is mainly found underwater and the latter is found on land.
- Turtles are mainly found in the waters of America and Africa, whereas, tortoises are found on the lands of Africa and Asia.
- Turtles have streamlined and flat shells that help them to swim underwater. Tortoises have thicker, bigger, and heavier dome-shaped shells that provide better protection from probable danger.
- The feet of turtles are webbed and have long claws. However, tortoises have bent legs that are sturdy and short.
- Turtles like to feed on meat, leafy vegetation, fruits, and veggies and are termed as omnivores. On the other hand, tortoises are herbivores and like to feed on green vegetation. However, some species like to eat live food.
- Turtles belong to a variety of families such as Carettochelyidae or the pig-nosed type of turtle, Emydidae or the water or pond turtles, and Dermatemydidae or the Central American river turtles
baby box turtles for sale near me, baby mud turtles for sale near me, baby musk turtles for sale near me, baby painted turtles for sale near me, baby sea turtles for sale near me, baby slider turtles for sale near me, baby snapping turtles for sale near me, baby turtles for sale near me, baby turtles for sale near me cheap, baby turtles for sale near me craigslist, baby turtles for sale near me uk, baby water turtles for sale near me, best place to buy turtle online in india, buy aquarium turtle online in india, buy box turtle online, buy red eared slider turtle online, buy red eared slider turtle online india, buy sea turtle online, buy turtle online ahmedabad, buy turtle online australia, buy turtle online canada, buy turtle online india, buy turtle online kolkata, buy turtle online malaysia, buy turtle online singapore, buy turtle online uae, buy turtle online uk, buying a turtle online, live baby turtles for sale near me, real baby turtles for sale near me.